Friday, June 10, 2011

Vaas: The Best Video Game Character Ever?

...Sorry Freeman, your out.

E3 has been, as usual, a flurry of activity. The barrage of information is oftentimes a bit overwhelming and sometimes people miss the best reveals or previews. I know I'm still sifting through a mountain of interviews, trailers, and reveals. Despite this I thought for sure I was going to be most impressed by various titles like Mass Effect 3, and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. However a bit later in the afternoon, I was browsing around, chatting with my friend Jimmy when I stumbled upon the Far Cry 3 gameplay demo. The gameplay was cool, the graphics were pretty solid, those things didn't blow me away per say, so much as they just looked really cool.

The voice acting and animation on the main villain Vaas on the other hand left me speechless.

"Have I ever told you...the definition...of insanity?" 

First off look at this guy. He LOOKS like an insane psychopath. Look at his eyes. You can see the fire and insanity in those eyes. His movement is also amazingly detailed...and slightly unpredictable. One moment, he's having a somewhat calm, albeit, disturbing, conversation with you, the next he suddenly blurts out, "...I am sorry....I don't LIKE....the way your looking at ME!" and then proceeds to go a little crazy, flipping over a makeshift table. He calms down for a minute walks over to the cement block your tied to, and shoves it off the cliff your next to. Which brings me to the voice acting. I am desperately looking to find out how gave Vaas' voice performance because whoever it is gave one of the best performances I have ever seen. Some people (not me... specifically anyway...) are comparing it to the kind of performance Heath Ledger gave in The Dark Knight. That's not blowing it out of proportion, that's how good it really was. And this is just the first ten or so minutes.

Think about that for a second. A lot of people are already blown away by Vaas and we've seen just one micro-fragment of the game. If the developers over at  Ubisoft Montreal pull this off right, and make Vaas' story and character development unique and/or interesting, he might become one of the best fictional characters ever. Obviously we still have a ways to go before Far Cry 3 is released, and in that time we'll see plenty of more gameplay videos, and learn lots of new information to be sure, but thanks to Vaas, I can't wait to see more, because I can't wait to see if the other characters can match up to his performance. 

Since this is a bit shorter than I want it to be, I'll wrap it up with the ten things I learned at this years E3...

10.) Nintendo's Wii-U is essentially a gigantic Nintendo DS.
9.) Star Wars Kinect is going to be the worst Star Wars game in a long time. Maybe even ever.
8.) Microsoft didn't care that Bungie "Finished the Fight."
7.) I never want to be the first person on stage at E3's press conferences.
6.) Peter Molyneux will need all the optimisim he has to get through his current Journey.
5.) Sony is still intent on getting into the handheld market. 
4.) Microsoft intends to make Cable obsolete.
3.) Nintendo might finally be trying to get M rated gamers interested in their consoles.
2.) Elder Scrolls Dragons are going to be the best creatures in a game ever.
1.) Microsoft still can't keep secrets.

That's all folks so until next time...
さよăȘら

2 comments:

  1. I agree, when I first saw Vass I didn't think much of him but after he smashed the box he was sitting on I knew that I've met a character worth calling truly insane, I also love the 'have I ever told you definition of insanity' moment because when he explains it more than once which I find very disturbing.

    Ross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael Mando was/is the voice actor of Vaas.

    ReplyDelete